Parents and students are advised to be aware of multiple projects currently underway or soon to break ground in the vicinity of Talley Street Upper Elementary that will impact access to and from the school. These projects include:
- Oak Cottage Court development project at 230 Commerce Drive
- Texaco gas station streetscape improvements at E. College and Commerce Drive (527 College Avenue)
- Shadowmoor sidewalk construction between S. Columbia Drive and Hilldale Drive (100 block of Shadowmoor Drive)
- New Talley Station development at 2600 Talley Street
Each of these projects will present different impositions and/or challenges. Please be aware:
- The sidewalk will be closed to pedestrians along the north side of Commerce Drive between East College Avenue and Sycamore Place beginning Friday, July 29. This will allow construction work to begin on the Oak Cottage Court development project at 230 Commerce Drive.
- The Texaco gas station will improve streetscaping at College and Commerce later this summer. Expect a short-term pedestrian detour. Start date is pending.
- The City’s sidewalk construction project on Shadowmoor is underway. During this time, there will be no motor vehicle access except for residents and construction personnel. Bike and pedestrian travel WILL BE AVAILABLE through this area during construction.
- Construction continues at New Talley Station at 2600 Talley Street across from the school. Parents and students should NOT use this street as it is an active construction zone. Motor vehicle, bike and pedestrian traffic are only for current residents and construction personnel.
- A new No Parking designation will be in place on Talley Street between Sams Street and New Street. In order to maintain circulation in this area including buses and cars, please abide by this designation.
The following maps illustrate the affected areas. Click for larger view.
Updates will be provided here at Decatur Makeover and through the City Schools of Decatur as each of these projects takes shape.
Got questions? Contact John Maximuk at 678.710.5165 or John.Maximuk@decaturga.com.